Wheeler Dealers frontman Mike Brewer has appeared on stage with new co-host Ant Anstead to discuss the future of the show, following the shock exit of everyone’s favourite mechanic Edd China. Brewer used the opportunity to silence critics who are suggesting the show will be ‘dead within 6 months’, with the announcement of a new long-term deal with Discovery.
“We’re going to blow it out of the water. I’m immensely proud of the last 13 years,” Brewer told the packed audience. “I love Edd to bits, I love what we’ve done… but Edd has chosen to leave the show.”
“I’ve got a great new co-host, we’re re-booting the series and it’s going to be phenomenal,” he added.
Brewer also countered Edd China’s claims that Discovery plans to reduce the ‘workshop’ aspect of the show in the upcoming season. “There’s no way on earth that anyone has ever suggested that the mechanical content of the show is going to be reduced,” Brewer said. “Where that came from, I don’t know. It is not going to be reduced, Discovery channel are not going to change the format one iota.”
Brewer claims that 75% of future Wheeler Dealers episodes will be situated within the workshop, with the remaining 25% covering the actual buying and selling of the car.
Back in March, Edd China announced his decision to leave Wheeler Dealers after 13 seasons on the show. “The detailed and in depth coverage of my fixes in the workshop; what I consider to be the backbone and USP of the programme, are something Velocity feel should be reduced,” China said at the time.
“The workshop jobs are certainly the hardest part of the show to make and reducing their substance and role in the show will save the production considerable time, effort and therefore money. However, this new direction is not something I am comfortable with as I feel the corners I was being asked to cut compromised the quality of my work and would erode my integrity as well as that of the show, so I have come to the conclusion that my only option is to let Velocity get on with it, without me.”
So who is telling the truth – Mike or Edd? We’ll let you be the judge.